Monday, October 24, 2005

Spandex For Days!


I did spend a little bit of time outdoors this weekend, watching the cyclist race at the Amli Bike Criterium in downtown Austin. The races were exciting, especially the pro men. There was one spectacular crash at the corner of 2nd & Colorado that took out four or five riders. I was bloodthirsty after that, holding onto Frank's shoulder and voicing my desire to see more riders skidding across the asphalt on their butts...major road rash! Frank chided me for wanting to see people get hurt, which calmed my savage nature a bit. The pro's were averaging 38 mph which made the turn in front of the Austin Children's Museum, with it's patch of rough asphalt, particularly treacherous. I had fun cheering on local pro's Zach and Will, both from PureAustin Gym, as they raced toward the finish.

Despite the fact that spandex is a privilege, not a right, there were many non-racers out on their bikes, sporting the skin tight fabric. People, please. I recognize that the fabric is great for it's wicking purposes and that tighter fabric cuts down on nipple burn, but if you are sporting a spare tire and you aren't actually on the bike propelling yourself toward some target location, do us all a favor and throw on a roomy tee shirt. Preferably one that will cover the very distinct outline of your twig & berries. I really don't need to know that much about you.

The one specimen of manhood that I was happy to see was George Hincapie (pictured). He stood next to me for a very short time, watching the pro's, until a gaggle of giggling girls interrupted us, asking if he would pose for pictures. He left as soon as he was done signing autographs, presumably back to his room at the Four Seasons. I'm certain he wanted me to follow him, but being the anti-stalkerish fan that I am, I let him wander off alone. Pity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have had trouble letting that fine piece of man meat leave without at least saying hello. And I'm married and not a stalker fan. In fact, I don't even know who he is but he sure is pretty!