Thursday, March 30, 2006

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy

Austin is so very austin. Yes, it should be an adjective meaning eclectic, vivacious, surprising and mysterious, among other things. Look at our weather situation. We go from coat wearing cold weather to a one day monsoon to summer. Tomorrow it may be springtime again, but today at 80ยบ definitely qualifies as summer. Or at least early summer, since real summer is usually a temperature somewhere between OMG and your hands melting on the steering wheel of your car.

The weather today sparks an urge in me to be outside. It makes me want to take a blanket and a book to Zilker Park and lose myself for an hour or two. I'd end up a little sunburned since I take after my Anglo parent instead of the Hispanic one, but I'd have a happier heart. All it takes is a little sunshine and blue skies sometimes. I'm almost on the verge of digging through my clothes and dragging out my bathing suit but I think Barton Springs may still be too shockingly cold this early in the season. (Please no hate mail from you year 'rounders!).

At least we're fortunate enough in Austin to have the Town Lake trail, Lake Travis, the Veloway and the Greenbelt. Last week's trek around Town Lake was great, even though I only ran twice, and for shamefully short distances each time. I'm horribly out of shape after being completely lazy this winter along with that nasty respiratory virus last month. Luckily, I only had a few minor instances of tightness in the chest and no real asthma attacks during my leisurely 5k jaunt. I'll push myself more on Saturday just to see what happens. I have a triathlon relay to get ready for, so there's no more time to be a slug.

But the flowers are blooming (saw some Bluebonnets along Mopac yesterday) and the trees are greening up and it's stirring me to venture out and enjoy what our city has to offer. It makes me feel hopeful, like the Gershwin song. "Summertime and the livin' is easy...one of these mornings you're gonna rise up singin', then you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky".

2 comments:

(F)redddy said...

Don't forget the Republicans. They make AusTex a beautiful place to be too.

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to Barton Springs tomorrow. Sunburn me excited.